Re: [Shop-talk] tire balancing

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tire balancing
From: old dirtbeard via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:55:26 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--000000000000c7626305968d36b5

HI Steve,

I believe that most tire warranties require tire rotation to be valid.

If it is a Corvette with offset front and rears, I realize that you could
not rotate front to rear, but for normal vehicles, this does not make sense
to me...

best,

doug

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Two years ago, I purchased a set of Michelin tires for my Ford
> Expedition at BJs.  It was not a great experience, and I don't think
> I'd do it again.  The tires do come with a road hazard warranty,
> though, and free flat repair.  I got a puncture in the right rear
> yesterday, so I ventured down to BJs once again.  The guy there asked
> me if it was a front or rear tire.  He said they balance them
> differently.  He said it was "statically balanced" but on a machine
> that spins it and uses lasers.  I don't know what he is talking
> about.  I told him it is a rear tire, but that shouldn't matter,
> because it will be a front tire when I rotate them.  He told me I
> shouldn't do that.  I have to bring the vehicle to them to rotate and
> re-balance.  None of this makes any sense to me.  Have things changed
> drastically or is this guy nuts?  I should note that all this stuff
> is free when you buy the tires there, so I don't really see any
> financial motive for them to want to do this.
>
> -Steve
>

> --

--000000000000c7626305968d36b5

iv>If it is a Corvette with=C2=A0offset front and rears, I realize that you=
 could not rotate front to rear, but for normal vehicles, this does not mak=
"gmail_attr">On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Steven Trovato via Shop-talk &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Two y=
ears ago, I purchased a set of Michelin tires for my Ford <br>
Expedition at BJs.=C2=A0 It was not a great experience, and I don&#39;t thi=
nk <br>
I&#39;d do it again.=C2=A0 The tires do come with a road hazard warranty, <=
br>
though, and free flat repair.=C2=A0 I got a puncture in the right rear <br>
yesterday, so I ventured down to BJs once again.=C2=A0 The guy there asked =
me if it was a front or rear tire.=C2=A0 He said they balance them <br>
differently.=C2=A0 He said it was &quot;statically balanced&quot; but on a =
machine <br>
that spins it and uses lasers.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t know what he is talking <b=
r>
about.=C2=A0 I told him it is a rear tire, but that shouldn&#39;t matter, <=
br>
because it will be a front tire when I rotate them.=C2=A0 He told me I <br>
shouldn&#39;t do that.=C2=A0 I have to bring the vehicle to them to rotate =
and <br>
re-balance.=C2=A0 None of this makes any sense to me.=C2=A0 Have things cha=
nged <br>
drastically or is this guy nuts?=C2=A0 I should note that all this stuff <b=
r>
is free when you buy the tires there, so I don&#39;t really see any <br>
financial motive for them to want to do this.<br>
-Steve<br>
-- <br>
lank">https://www.avast.com/antivirus</a><br>
ox.team.net</a><br>