Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner
From: Arvid via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 08:42:36 -0600

--------------CCCC03546AAA78012FE08BDA

Maybe a drum sander like this ... https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzl=
y-18-1-1-2-HP-Open-End-Drum-Sander-w-VS-Feed/G0458Z ... and appropriate i=
nfeed, side and outfeed tables to support the door as you do each edge.

On 12/22/19 8:26 AM, Jim Stone via Shop-talk wrote:
> I am installing a barn door in my recently remodeled house and have com=
e up with a problem I would like the group=E2=80=99s help with. =C2=A0I n=
eed to put up a pair of 8=E2=80=99 x 30" barn doors, one of which will sl=
ide in next to a tall kitchen cabinet. =C2=A0So, not exactly a pocket doo=
r, but it needs to fit into a pocket. =C2=A0When we designed/installed th=
e kitchen cabinets we planned the cabinets for a 1 3/8=E2=80=9D - 1 1/2=E2=
=80=9D door, which I planned to make out of tongue and groove boards or p=
ossibly shiplap. =C2=A0However, my wife has lately decided that she doesn=
=E2=80=99t like the look of the board door and wants to try something dif=
ferent. =C2=A0I wanted to install something temporary while she shops and=
 decides and we went to Habitat for Humanity=E2=80=99s ReStore yesterday =
to see if they had anything that would cheaply do the trick, at least for=
 the holidays. =C2=A0To our surprise, they had a pair of new, really nice=
, 8x30 shaker style doors for $50 each that would look really good in the=
 house. =C2=A0They are solid wood, I think poplar,=20
> and the only problem is that they are 1 3/4=E2=80=9D thick. =C2=A0I bou=
ght them anyway, figuring I could always donate them back if there wasn=E2=
=80=99t a good way to make them work.

> There is a possibility that I might be able to make the doors work by t=
weaking the barn door hardware, as the opening is about 1 5/8=E2=80=9D. =C2=
=A0I will try that, but doubt the wall tolerances are that precise. =C2=A0=
It it doesn=E2=80=99t work, my only option - besides re-donating the door=
s - is to try to narrow the doors a bit. =C2=A0This /should/ be possible,=
 since the stiles and rails are 4=E2=80=9D and 8=E2=80=9D, respectively, =
so I am not talking about narrowing the entire width of the door.
> (For what it is worth, I should add here that while the doors are curre=
ntly 8x30, I need to tweak that a bit to make the match the cabinets and =
door opening and will be cutting them down to about 84=E2=80=9D x 29=E2=80=
=9D.

> I currently have a good bench top planer that I can=E2=80=99t see anywa=
y to use, and a cheap HF hand planer that might work. =C2=A0But, of cours=
e, I would be happy to buy a new one or another tool that would do the jo=
b. =C2=A0We are probably looking at more than $1000 for a pair of 8=E2=80=
=99 doors that make my wife happy, so there is lots of room in the budget=
 for a new tool. =C2=A0So, what does the group think? =C2=A0Can I safely =
take about 1/8=E2=80=9D off each face of these doors. =C2=A0Is an electri=
c hand planer my best option, or is there another way? =C2=A0They will be=
 painted in the end, so I can fill in any random gouges, but they do have=
 to be smooth and even.

> As always, thanks for any advice and Happy Holidays to all!
>
> Jim

--------------CCCC03546AAA78012FE08BDA

  <head>
  </head>
href="https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-18-1-1-2-HP-Open-End-Drum-Sander-w-VS-Feed/G0458Z";>https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-18-1-1-2-HP-Open-End-Drum-Sander-w-VS-Feed/G0458Z</a>
      ... and appropriate infeed, side and outfeed tables to support the
      door as you do each edge.<br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:FFC7826C-369E-4202-9D3F-885E13A17CED@gmail.com">
        house and have come up with a problem I would like the groupâ??s
        help with.  I need to put up a pair of 8â?? x 30" barn doors, one
        of which will slide in next to a tall kitchen cabinet.  So, not
        exactly a pocket door, but it needs to fit into a pocket.  When
        we designed/installed the kitchen cabinets we planned the
        cabinets for a 1 3/8â?? - 1 1/2â?? door, which I planned to make out
        of tongue and groove boards or possibly shiplap.  However, my
        wife has lately decided that she doesnâ??t like the look of the
        board door and wants to try something different.  I wanted to
        install something temporary while she shops and decides and we
        went to Habitat for Humanityâ??s ReStore yesterday to see if they
        had anything that would cheaply do the trick, at least for the
        holidays.  To our surprise, they had a pair of new, really nice,
        8x30 shaker style doors for $50 each that would look really good
        in the house.  They are solid wood, I think poplar, and the only
        problem is that they are 1 3/4â?? thick.  I bought them anyway,
        figuring I could always donate them back if there wasnâ??t a good
        way to make them work. </div>
        the doors work by tweaking the barn door hardware, as the
        opening is about 1 5/8â??.  I will try that, but doubt the wall
        tolerances are that precise.  It it doesnâ??t work, my only option
        - besides re-donating the doors - is to try to narrow the doors
        a bit.  This <i class="">should</i> be possible, since the
        stiles and rails are 4â?? and 8â??, respectively, so I am not
        talking about narrowing the entire width of the door.  </div>
        the doors are currently 8x30, I need to tweak that a bit to make
        the match the cabinets and door opening and will be cutting them
        down to about 84â?? x 29â??.  </div>
        canâ??t see anyway to use, and a cheap HF hand planer that might
        work.  But, of course, I would be happy to buy a new one or
        another tool that would do the job.  We are probably looking at
        more than $1000 for a pair of 8â?? doors that make my wife happy,
        so there is lots of room in the budget for a new tool.  So, what
        does the group think?  Can I safely take about 1/8â?? off each
        face of these doors.  Is an electric hand planer my best option,
        or is there another way?  They will be painted in the end, so I
        can fill in any random gouges, but they do have to be smooth and
        even.</div>
        to all!</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"