Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a door thinner
From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:05:03 -0800
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=KEtc1W4FAuiXp5Kr5OEatpCLo9+Gvk5vs6pj6YuQbdbJ0RM4eaKXJ0jvGi+t5ADqc1ex5VcJlL6cLHa5/+8AwQCXy3zoD0a/VF791lyIJeBa9OZsbOE8rOdcuP/nmz/VarTSCtmhNZbG4/TwJgvNcV0QLcKgiIGOVlEkVdgwKKM1RLXAFsPfuh1wj+dyYnMwl98jCFSTCuP90f8qAQreCwOQWRKlM0d3G+mSA1TvC9RVQ7QLc/VuT0Qh1Iz9vLEoN5eGVU903ourIrcXB4xhK1chkBiJDZ46u1YeGsDuNCZ46NWsyCfWpA18nHQDjOUYv2SfqnsEjrT/5JOo5WfgJw==; h=Received:From:Subject:To:Cc:References:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------E673BA014669412A9B11B561

I second the router guide shown in the video if you don't have a local
shop with a door sized industrial sander.

Brian

On 12/22/2019 10:08 AM, Miq Millman via Shop-talk wrote:
> [...]
> (Orange big box has them for ~$100).
>
> I've done this, for end grain cutting boards, where I used a 1x2"
> aluminum rectangle tube for the rails,
>
> --
> __
> Tualatin, OR  Big Llama Productions
>

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 6:26 AM Jim Stone via Shop-talk
>
>     I am installing a barn door in my recently remodeled house and
>     have come up with a problem I would like the groupâ??s help with.  I
>     need to put up a pair of 8â?? x 30" barn doors, one of which will
>     slide in next to a tall kitchen cabinet.  So, not exactly a pocket
>     door, but it needs to fit into a pocket.  When we
>     designed/installed the kitchen cabinets we planned the cabinets
>     for a 1 3/8â?? - 1 1/2â?? door, which I planned to make out of tongue
>     and groove boards or possibly shiplap.  However, my wife has
>     lately decided that she doesnâ??t like the look of the board door
>     and wants to try something different.  I wanted to install
>     something temporary while she shops and decides and we went to
>     Habitat for Humanityâ??s ReStore yesterday to see if they had
>     anything that would cheaply do the trick, at least for the
>     holidays.  To our surprise, they had a pair of new, really nice,
>     8x30 shaker style doors for $50 each that would look really good
>     in the house.  They are solid wood, I think poplar, and the only
>     problem is that they are 1 3/4â?? thick.  I bought them anyway,
>     figuring I could always donate them back if there wasnâ??t a good
>     way to make them work.
>
>     There is a possibility that I might be able to make the doors work
>     by tweaking the barn door hardware, as the opening is about 1
>     5/8â??.  I will try that, but doubt the wall tolerances are that
>     precise.  It it doesnâ??t work, my only option - besides re-donating
>     the doors - is to try to narrow the doors a bit.  This /should/ be
>     possible, since the stiles and rails are 4â?? and 8â??, respectively,
>     so I am not talking about narrowing the entire width of the door.
>     (For what it is worth, I should add here that while the doors are
>     currently 8x30, I need to tweak that a bit to make the match the
>     cabinets and door opening and will be cutting them down to about
>     84â?? x 29â??.
>
>     I currently have a good bench top planer that I canâ??t see anyway
>     to use, and a cheap HF hand planer that might work.  But, of
>     course, I would be happy to buy a new one or another tool that
>     would do the job.  We are probably looking at more than $1000 for
>     a pair of 8â?? doors that make my wife happy, so there is lots of
>     room in the budget for a new tool.  So, what does the group
>     think?  Can I safely take about 1/8â?? off each face of these
>     doors.  Is an electric hand planer my best option, or is there
>     another way?  They will be painted in the end, so I can fill in
>     any random gouges, but they do have to be smooth and even.
>
>     As always, thanks for any advice and Happy Holidays to all!

  <head>
  </head>
    I second the router guide shown in the video if you don't have a
    local shop with a door sized industrial sander.<br>
    Brian<br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CALUbS3E6Z1bQErv0sihka3z5gL_at6ghfoqfq38GwKPQEP4H=w@mail.gmail.com">
        too wide, so I used a router to make the hinge pockets 1/4"
        deeper then ran the door through my table saw and sliced a bit
        less than 3/16" of the hinge side and about 1/16" off the latch
        side.
          to flatten wood" and make a sled that is roughly 31" long and
          as wide as your (possibly new) router base.  Woodworkers use
          this kind of rig for flattening live edge slabs and the like.</div>
          it using some plywood and simple rails:  <a
            href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M</a></div>
          on the door, then make passes cutting off 1/8" or less at a
          time.  Make a pass, move the jig less than the diameter of the
          bit, make another pass, etc.</div>
          plane, but here's a chance to get a nice jack plane, like the
          Stanley No. 62  (Orange big box has them for ~$100).</div>
          a 1x2" aluminum rectangle tube for the rails,</div>
              data-smartmail="gmail_signature">--<br>
              __<br>
              Miq Millman   <a href="mailto:miq@bigllama.com";
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">miq@bigllama.com</a><br>
              Tualatin, OR  Big Llama Productions<br>
          AM Jim Stone via Shop-talk &lt;<a
            href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
[...]
              to make them work. </div>
              doors work by tweaking the barn door hardware, as the
              opening is about 1 5/8â??.  I will try that, but doubt the
              wall tolerances are that precise.  It it doesnâ??t work, my
              only option - besides re-donating the doors - is to try to
              narrow the doors a bit.  This <i>should</i> be possible,
              since the stiles and rails are 4â?? and 8â??, respectively, so
              I am not talking about narrowing the entire width of the
              door.  </div>
              doors are currently 8x30, I need to tweak that a bit to
              make the match the cabinets and door opening and will be
              cutting them down to about 84â?? x 29â??.  </div>
              see anyway to use, and a cheap HF hand planer that might
              work.  But, of course, I would be happy to buy a new one
              or another tool that would do the job.  We are probably
              looking at more than $1000 for a pair of 8â?? doors that
              make my wife happy, so there is lots of room in the budget
              for a new tool.  So, what does the group think?  Can I
              safely take about 1/8â?? off each face of these doors.  Is
              an electric hand planer my best option, or is there
              another way?  They will be painted in the end, so I can
              fill in any random gouges, but they do have to be smooth
              and even.</div>
              all!</div>
            moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";