Re: [Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?
From: Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 20:12:51 -0400
References: <CAE16_w1_M3OR4qPDtYe0eZprpfuOHX5vxv0K-Sy=uCSkzr9qxA@mail.gmail.com> <MW2PR07MB39782291CB1EF6966DFEB424BBF90@MW2PR07MB3978.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <OFB646E1A8.C9E7F92E-ON8525852D.00816C30-8525852D.0081EFEA@mail.megageek.com> <CAO8Q7COma7k6Q-9FpX21kN-Mw3A64G=wmqAvspmRd9gM1b1Tug@mail.gmail.com> <264fbe30-490e-b18a-dc51-efcca081854f@dfn.com> <1558077923.4074766.1584447872807@mail.yahoo.com> <OF22DF3C6D.0D1B6289-ON85258530.006033CB-85258530.0061A6F2@mail.megageek.com> <BCA136F1C7A24E1B86607088E2C008AB@RYPC> <OF5546FC78.E5F2CAEC-ON85258530.00789F75-85258530.007BB9FA@mail.megageek.com>
But we know that Italy has good health care, as does Germany and the US.
We are succumbing because the virus is more dangerous and has a
mortality rate that exceeds that of influenza by a factor of 20x-40x.
(China in general may not have the best of health everywhere, but Wuhan
is a very modern, sophisticated, healthy city. Even there, the mortality
rate was 4.6% (3130/67800 as of today) - that is HUGE by any measure.
Italy's mortality rate is 8.3% (3405/41035); USA is at 1.5% (200/13680)
as of 15 minutes ago.

This is not a disease to take lightly from all the evidence.

We'll be able to tell if we haven't taken adequate precautions because
we will have a catastrophe. If we take adequate or more-than adequate
precautions, we will have a nothingburger - that is the goal and we
should all strive for it, IMO. The catastrophe scenario (1918 Flu, Flint
water, Fukushima) is not one I wish on anyone.

Donald.

*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

On 2020-03-19 6:31 p.m., eric--- via Shop-talk wrote:
> I do appreciate everyone's comments here.  I'm not trying to start a war
> or anything, and I will stop if no one wants to hear my side (just let
> me know)
>
> But I'm guessing we all have some extra time on our hands now and this
> is a great way to stay in touch with others, without risk.
>
> A few rebuttals,
>
> Yes, they are saying that this seems to be more fatal then the flu,
> however, I believe there are 2 main reasons for that.
> 1-where it started, china then moved to Iran.  Both of these places have
> poor nutrition, poor medical care (and even poorer access to it.), and
> elderly populations.  Italy also has poor medical care (albeit better
> than the other two.)  So fatalities were higher than average modern
> populations.
>
> 2-Then, there is most likely a vast populations (even in those areas)
> that got the virus, and shrugged it off as the flu, got better, and
> never reported it.  So that means that you can track 100% of the
> fatalities, but you do not know how many 'sick but were fine' people you
> had.  This will artificially inflate fatality statistics.
>
> So, that is why it may SEEM to be worst. Next, comparing this to the
> Spanish flu is unfair as we have a way more advance medical machine
> worldwide now.  Even if that flu hit today, there wouldn't be the same
> amount of deaths.
>
> For my job. I have been living and breathing this stuff for almost two
> weeks. We are taking a in depth look at every aspect.  The victims in
> our state all had other serious health issues. In fact the first person
> to die here had just about every major issue you can think of.
> Is it sad people are dying? Yes. I am not trying to down play it.  But
> these were all people that the flu most likely would have impacted as
> well.  It doesn't make it any less tragic, but it does instill fear in
> the rest of the population for something they can't see the details on.
> People see a "number of fatalities" statistic.  But they don't see the
> "aggravating factors for each person" facts.
>
> My point is that the response may be way worst than the virus itself.
> Entire cities/states/countries shutting down.  Livelihoods lost.  People
> losing jobs, and means to support their families. Even with stimulus
> packages (that further reduce the dollars worth) business will be closed
> for good, jobs that don't come back. All because populations of people
> that were vulnerable to the flu or other viruses, contracted one called
> 'covid-19.'  If they contracted the regular flu and died, it would have
> been like any other year. I hate to sound so insensitive, but it is
> because I'm rooting for the whole society and what's best for the vast
> majority. (yes, I'm sure sounds like the plot to an original Star Trek
> episode.)
>
> Populations are panicking, I hope we don't see riots for food and
> [...]

utox.team.net