Re: [Shop-talk] Re-adhering ceramic tiles?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Re-adhering ceramic tiles?
From: Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 07:52:05 -0400
Had they adequately adhered, they would likely have broken. Ceramic
tiles really don't bend. I've never tried to inject mortar beneath an
existing tile; if the bond is weak enough, you should be able to pop the
tile loose, clean up the mortar, and reset the tile. That would be the
only way I'd try to fix it. (If you get some mortar beneath an edge, the
unsupported portion of the tile will eventually take a bit of a load and
crack there.)

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail

On 2020-03-30 7:23 a.m., Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
> No, there was so much that happened at once, it's impossible to tell.
> It's definitely not a load issue though; the house is a simple
> split-entry rectangle with the 1st floor on slab and the 2nd floor
> joists running between the long foundation walls and a central girder.
> And I don't remember when the tile went in compared to the work below.
> But the bathroom also has some loose tiles so I think it's a mortar or
> adhesion issue more than too much movement in the house. The tiles are
> cheap ones from Lowe's, maybe $2 each, so mabybe the underside had
> adhesion issues? I did backbutter them.
>
> jim
>
>> On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:36 PM, Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk
>>
>> Have you addressed the underlying cause of the movement?  Were
>> load-bearing structures compromised or weight limits exceeded by the
>> remodel?
>>
>> On 2020-03-29 13:40, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
>>> My house settled after a major remodel and some 12x24 ceramic tiles have
>>> popped up along a line. But only one side of them. If I try and pry them up
>>> it's clear they're on a slight hump and only one side of the hump let go.
>>> They only move enough to keep cracking the grout and make a hollow sound if
>>> I tap on them- maybe 1/16 of an inch.
>>>
>>> Is there a product that will get in there through the grout channels that
>>> will stabilize the tiles? I'd rather not go through doing it the right way
>>> of lifting the whole tile and laying it as a new one.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> jim

utox.team.net