Re: [Shop-talk] Solar driveway runway lights?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Solar driveway runway lights?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:31:19 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000058b41605af833fcf

Jim,

I am doing the same thing now (driveway and parking pad lights). There's no
way I'd try to do what that guy did and build LEDs.

My driveway is 350 feet and I didn't want to run power either, but the
independent solar lights were too flimsy and too dim. Right now I'm torn
between just LED rope lights or discrete lights. The rope lights mean I
would have to build something over them to protect them, the discrete
lights seem to require more power and are more expensive to buy but would
be quicker once I bought them--you just wire them, stick them in and go.

So...I don't have a good answer, just that I haven't found a solar-powered
option either and the wiring was actually one of the easiest parts. If you
do, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Scott

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> It's impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the lack of
> light, so I need to add something. Ideally I'd have something like this;
> double ideally they'd be directional so they were only visible to someone
> backing down the driveway. And they'd need to be somewhat stout to deal
> with weather, errant feet, etc., but I think that's mostly an installation
> issue. Have any of you done anything like this?
>
> The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get
> into but it gives you an idea. I'd like solar powered with a daylight
> sensor. I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky
> pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget.
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/
>
> thanks,
> jim

--00000000000058b41605af833fcf

veway and parking pad lights). There&#39;s no way I&#39;d try to do what th=
 and I didn&#39;t want to run power either, but the independent solar light=
s were too flimsy and too dim. Right now I&#39;m torn between just LED rope=
 lights or discrete lights. The rope lights mean I would have to build some=
thing over them to protect them, the discrete lights seem to require more p=
ower and are more expensive to buy but would be quicker once I bought them-=
don&#39;t have a good answer, just that I haven&#39;t found a solar-powered=
 option either and the wiring was actually one of the easiest parts. If you=
attr">On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ja=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1=
px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">It&#39;s impossible to back dow=
n my driveway at night because of the lack of light, so I need to add somet=
hing. Ideally I&#39;d have something like this; double ideally they&#39;d b=
e directional so they were only visible to someone backing down the drivewa=
y. And they&#39;d need to be somewhat stout to deal with weather, errant fe=
et, etc., but I think that&#39;s mostly an installation issue. Have any of =
you done anything like this? <br>
The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get into=
 but it gives you an idea. I&#39;d like solar powered with a daylight senso=
r. I don&#39;t have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky pat=
hway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget. <br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/</a>=
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>