Re: [Shop-talk] Leaf blower issues...need the elders' advice

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Leaf blower issues...need the elders' advice
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:59:06 -0400
You have to look at the battery size. You can't simply compare amp-hours
because, unlike most power tools where 12V and 18V are pretty much
standard across different manufacturers, outdoor power equipment uses a
variety of voltages...18V, 36V, 40V, 56V, 60V, 80V...and I think there
are a few 120V designs out there now.  Instead, you can compare
Watt-hours which is the amount of energy the battery contains.

For example, my 5Ah 56V Ego batteries contain about 280 Watt-hours of
energy, a 12Ah 18V Milwaukee battery contains 216 Watt-hours, etc.

Runtime also depends on how hard you drive the motor.  If you're running
them at wide-open, they're not going to last very long because their
brushless motors can draw a lot of power.  I've read that Ego's motors
are rated north of 2000 Watts.  So based on those numbers, I could
probably expect less than 10 minutes at wide open ~600 cfm from the
blower.  The reality, though, I rarely find that I need to run it wide
open. Leaves a foot-deep would  would probably be a problem though,
especially if they're wet.

Here's an alternate solution that I use...even on my lawn:  use a
pressure washer with the fan spray nozzle.   I find that it works far
better and faster than any leaf blower that I've ever used, gas or
otherwise.  It's also effective for slowing traffic on my street as
drivers do a double-take to watch the guy pressure-washing his lawn.