Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 11:49:16 -0500

--------------A54F668F864301AA897E8E8B

I can definitely recommend the Mity Vac.=A0 It's well made and just a few=
=20
pumps pulls out any liquid you need to change, and just a flip of the=20
swich and I pump it into a container to take to my city garage. Changing =

the transmission fluid on my truck can be a huge chore because you need=20
to drop the exhaust to remove the pan cover.=A0 With the Mity Vac, I suck=
=20
out everything I can and replace it.=A0 I know I can't get it all, so I d=
o=20
it every year to keep it nice and clean.

On 1/4/2021 11:16 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:

>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:14 AM, eric@megageek.com=20
>>
>> I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains=20
>> horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come straight down=20
>> from the bottom of the oil pan.) =A0This make's oil changes SO much=20
>> harder and messier.
>
> I'm not usually a conpsiracy theorist, but perhaps this is to coerce=20
> owners to have it serviced at the dealer, where they suck oil out=20
> through the dipstick tube?
>
> The engineer in me wants to say it's for protection from ground damage =

> (do kids jump railroad tracks anymore?).
>
> I'm about to buy an oil sucker outer in case anyone has one they=20
> recommend. The Mity-vac looks nice at at $180 it'll be paid for after=20
> 2 dealer oil changes :-D
>
> jim

--------------A54F668F864301AA897E8E8B

  <head>
      charset=3Dwindows-1252">
  </head>
      a few pumps pulls out any liquid you need to change, and just a
      flip of the swich and I pump it into a container to take to my
      city garage. Changing the transmission fluid on my truck can be a
      huge chore because you need to drop the exhaust to remove the pan
      cover.=A0 With the Mity Vac, I suck out everything I can and replac=
      it.=A0 I know I can't get it all, so I do it every year to keep it
      nice and clean.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite=3D"mid:5FBBEADF-A098-41BB-BC0D-B770435C2306@groupwbench.org">
        charset=3Dwindows-1252">
              href=3D"mailto:eric@megageek.com"; class=3D""
              moz-do-not-send=3D"true">eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:</div>=

 just
              about EVERY modern's
              car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically
              (where the plug come
              straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.) =A0This
              make's oil changes
              SO much harder and messier.</font>
        coerce owners to have it serviced at the dealer, where they suck
        oil out through the dipstick tube?</div>
        ground damage (do kids jump railroad tracks anymore?).=A0</div>
        they recommend. The Mity-vac looks nice at at $180 it'll be paid
        for after 2 dealer oil changes :-D</div>
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D"">____________________________=
___________________

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team=
=2Enet">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>