Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:54:00 -0800

--------------4BE01D6453D9A55907CA90F4

This is from an Amazon-native search (no 'gclid').

On 1/4/2021 9:28 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> I bought one similar to this (there's various brands/prices that all
> look pretty much the same; I'd wager they're all made in the same
> Chinese factory):
>
> *https://tinyurl.com/y964denv*
>
> It does the job (15L versions are available). I mainly use if for
> small engines, so haven't tried the pneumatic feature yet.
>
> I haven't been impressed with MityVac products (one of their vacuum
> pumps failed on me after only a couple uses).
>
> Bob
>

> On 1/4/2021 8:16 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:14 AM, eric@megageek.com
>>>
>>> I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains
>>> horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come straight down
>>> from the bottom of the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much
>>> harder and messier.
>>
>> I'm not usually a conpsiracy theorist, but perhaps this is to coerce
>> owners to have it serviced at the dealer, where they suck oil out
>> through the dipstick tube?
>>
>> The engineer in me wants to say it's for protection from ground
>> damage (do kids jump railroad tracks anymore?).
>>
>> I'm about to buy an oil sucker outer in case anyone has one they
>> recommend. The Mity-vac looks nice at at $180 it'll be paid for after
>> 2 dealer oil changes :-D
>>
>> jim

--------------4BE01D6453D9A55907CA90F4

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    This is from an Amazon-native search (no 'gclid').<br>
      cite="mid:22e9d067-522f-c2cf-9fca-708846066f99@comcast.net">
        charset=windows-1252">
      I bought one similar to this (there's various brands/prices that
      all look pretty much the same; I'd wager they're all made in the
      same Chinese factory):<br>
      <b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
          href="https://tinyurl.com/y964denv";
      It does the job (15L versions are available). I mainly use if for
      small engines, so haven't tried the pneumatic feature yet. <br>
      I haven't been impressed with MityVac products (one of their
      vacuum pumps failed on me after only a couple uses).<br>
      Bob<br>
        wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:5FBBEADF-A098-41BB-BC0D-B770435C2306@groupwbench.org">
          charset=windows-1252">
                href="mailto:eric@megageek.com"; class=""
                moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:</div>
                just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains
                horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come
                straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.)  This
                make's oil changes SO much harder and messier.</font> <br
                class="">
          to coerce owners to have it serviced at the dealer, where they
          suck oil out through the dipstick tube?</div>
          ground damage (do kids jump railroad tracks anymore?). </div>
          they recommend. The Mity-vac looks nice at at $180 it'll be
          paid for after 2 dealer oil changes :-D</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>