Re: [Shop-talk] Heating question (not so much shop related.)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heating question (not so much shop related.)
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 06:44:14 -0800
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net

--0000000000000a210005d189e55e

Hi Moose,

As you say there are a lot of variables, but I believe that just running
the lower unit will be more efficient:

   1. The heat from the lower floors will tend to rise to the upper floors
   naturally, and the upper floors are acting like additional insulation for
   the furnace. Heating the upper floor directly would have the heat from
   there escape through the roof, while the heat from the bottom furnace
   escapes to the upper floors and then through the roof.
   2. Having one furnace run longer than two furnaces running shorter will
   be more efficient. Furnaces need to heat-up all the duct work when they
   first cycle on. Having one furnace run longer cycles than two
   furnaces running shorter cycles should be more efficient and have less heat
   loss in the ducts.

Disclaimer: I am not a heating contractor and am just speaking on
information for which I am aware.

best,

doug

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 6:26 AM <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> OK, this is more of a thought experiment, but here is the back story.
>
> My house is over 200 years old.  2 years ago I got  vinyl siding and
> better insulation.  REALLY good insulation.
> I have programmable thermostats (2 zones, downstairs and upstairs.)
> I keep them at about 64 degrees when I'm there.
> Turns out, the batteries in the upstairs one went dead and my upstairs
> zone hasn't turned on in over a year.
> HOWEVER, I really like how the house is.  The downstairs is as warm as I
> want, and the upstairs is just slightly cooler, but it's perfect for
> sleeping.
>
> My question is, is it more efficient to have the upstairs not run heat?
> Or is the downstairs working much harder to compensate?
>
> I know there are lots of variables, but what do you guys think?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Moose_______________________________________________
>
> Shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail.com

--0000000000000a210005d189e55e

 variables, but I believe that just running the lower unit will be more eff=
to the upper floors naturally, and the upper floors are acting like additio=
nal insulation for the furnace. Heating the upper floor directly would have=
 the heat from there escape through the roof,=C2=A0while the heat from the =
bottom furnace escapes to the upper floors and then through the roof.</li><=
li>Having one furnace=C2=A0run longer than two furnaces running shorter wil=
l be more efficient. Furnaces need to heat-up all the duct work when they f=
irst cycle on. Having one furnace run longer cycles than two furnaces=C2=A0=
running shorter cycles should be more efficient=C2=A0and have less heat los=
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Nov 24, 20=
21 at 6:26 AM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px=
 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><fo=
nt size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">OK, this is more of a thought experiment,
but here is the back story. =C2=A0</font>
=C2=A02
years ago I got =C2=A0vinyl siding and better insulation.=C2=A0 REALLY
good insulation.</font>
 zones,
downstairs and upstairs.)</font>
en
I&#39;m there.</font>
stairs
one went dead and my upstairs zone hasn&#39;t turned on in over a year.</fo=
nt>
se
is.=C2=A0 The downstairs is as warm as I want, and the upstairs is just
slightly cooler, but it&#39;s perfect for sleeping.</font>
nt
to have the upstairs not run heat?=C2=A0 Or is the downstairs working much
harder to compensate?</font>
,
but what do you guys think?</font>
_________________________<br>