Re: [Shop-talk] Finishing a tricky ceiling

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Finishing a tricky ceiling
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:09:37 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c6aaca05e08fdd31

How about polycarbonate panels like they use for greenhouse roofs? It's
obviously completely waterproof. You can get clear if you don't mind seeing
whatever accumulates on top of it or something opaque if you want it to
look nice and don't mind pulling a panel down to look at what's going on up
there.

-Paul

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:

> Got a hankering for some opinions...
>
> We have a small room under our basement.  About 4' by 12', it is
> directly underneath our front porch.  We refer to it as the "bomb
> shelter" as it is all cinderblock and earth-sheltered on one side,and
> the other three sides are adjacent to basement rooms or crawlspace.
>
> As it is under the porch, there is occasional water seepage around the
> perimeter - mostly when we wash the porch (it is walled on three sides
> and has a roof over it.  The ceiling is the porch floor, installed by
> laying a metal pan down and pouring the porch slab on top (much like
> floors in commercial buildings.  The main problem is that the pan was
> not galvanized, and so it rains a constant shower of little rusty
> metal particles and chunks into the room.
>
> I'd like to put a ceiling in there to catch all of that before it gets
> all over the stuff that I have stored on the shelves.  It must be
> removable so I can check the pan for imminent failure, and must also
> be moisture-resistant.  I have some idea of what I might do, but the
> collective wisdom can often be much sharper than me alone.   Any
> ideas?  Once I solve the ceiling, I'm going to dry-lok the walls and
> finish it a little nicer so I can store shop supplies down there.
>
> Picture of the ceiling:

--000000000000c6aaca05e08fdd31

use for greenhouse roofs? It&#39;s obviously completely waterproof. You can=
 get clear if you don&#39;t mind seeing whatever accumulates on top of it o=
r something opaque if you want it to look nice and don&#39;t mind pulling a=
l_attr">On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Got a hankering for some opinions=
...<br>
We have a small room under our basement.=C2=A0 About 4&#39; by 12&#39;, it =
is<br>
directly underneath our front porch.=C2=A0 We refer to it as the &quot;bomb=
shelter&quot; as it is all cinderblock and earth-sheltered on one side,and<=
br>
the other three sides are adjacent to basement rooms or crawlspace.<br>
As it is under the porch, there is occasional water seepage around the<br>
perimeter - mostly when we wash the porch (it is walled on three sides<br>
and has a roof over it.=C2=A0 The ceiling is the porch floor, installed by<=
br>
laying a metal pan down and pouring the porch slab on top (much like<br>
floors in commercial buildings.=C2=A0 The main problem is that the pan was<=
br>
not galvanized, and so it rains a constant shower of little rusty<br>
metal particles and chunks into the room.<br>
I&#39;d like to put a ceiling in there to catch all of that before it gets<=
br>
all over the stuff that I have stored on the shelves.=C2=A0 It must be<br>
removable so I can check the pan for imminent failure, and must also<br>
be moisture-resistant.=C2=A0 I have some idea of what I might do, but the<b=
r>
collective wisdom can often be much sharper than me alone.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Any<=
br>
ideas?=C2=A0 Once I solve the ceiling, I&#39;m going to dry-lok the walls a=
nd<br>
finish it a little nicer so I can store shop supplies down there.<br>
Picture of the ceiling:<br><br>

--000000000000c6aaca05e08fdd31--

--===============0504115879030484641==

--===============0504115879030484641==--