RE: Gearbox Whining in 1st-3rd gears

To: "'Paul Moon'" <pmoon@misgate.mcgh.org>
Subject: RE: Gearbox Whining in 1st-3rd gears
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:14:25 +1200
Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem with my 73 Mk IV with 3 rail gearbox, problem
turned out to be a badly worn tip on the mainshaft causing movement in
the mainshaft but with no whine in fourth. Tip bearing had not yet died
but I suspect it would only have been a matter of time. Also found a
tooth on the laygear had broken off. ( on the part that connects to the
input shaft gear. ) Hope this is not the problem with yours.

Peter Cebalo

73 MkIV

Auckland
New Zealand