Gearbox Whining in 1st-3rd gears

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gearbox Whining in 1st-3rd gears
From: Paul Moon <pmoon@misgate.mcgh.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 98 16:47:03 -0500
Hi All,

After about a year of trying to talk myself out of it, I recently
bit the bullet and bought myself a 79 Spitfire.  I am currently
learning to recognise a wonderous variety of clunks, thumps, whines
and wails that, to the guy at the local parts store,  all sound like
money falling into the cash register.

My current concern is a whining noise coming from the gearbox,
which increases in pitch as I accelerate. This noise is present in
first, second and third gears, but disappears completely the moment
I change into fourth. As I have never looked inside a gearbox
before, (something which I feel may soon be rectified), could
someone suggest any causes for this noise, and whether it is
something that should be immediately rectified, or whether I should
wait until I have worked up the mechanical expertise (and have the
time) to overhaul the gearbox during the colder months next winter.

Thanks,
Paul Moon
79 Spitfire FM101157U - One of the Triumphs my Dad didn't build -
Apologies to Dolomite and early TR7 owners :-)