Re: Rubber Bumber Resto'

To: On the Mark <otmc@bc1.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumber Resto'
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:06:45 -0500
At 05:33 PM 3/28/98 -0800, On the Mark (Mark Milotay) wrote:

>The black rubber bumpers on my '80 Spit are in desperate need of something
>to make them more black. I tried some of this black chrome polish which is
>supposed to spice up the black trim on your car, but it does nothing for
>the bumpers.

=====================

I PAINTED the bumpers on my '79 Spitfire, and they came out nice.   Haven't
had to touch them for about a year and a half.

Here's what I did:

 - Sanded out (mostly) any scratches, then used Scotchbrite to roughen the
plastic surface.   Some of the areas of the cover had turned white because
of UV damage from the sun.   That part wasn't perfectly smooth.

- Used Plastic Prep to clean the bumpers; then masked the body.

- Painted with Black Flexible Bumper Paint, using the directions on the
can. NOTE: it takes a long time for this stuff to harden (about 48 hours).

I found everything I needed (and a lot of helpful advice) at my local auto
body supply store.   Total cost was about $30 US.

As I said they have held up well.   Even a large gas spill on the rear
bumper did not affect the paint.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road and LOVING it!)

Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"