Starter Solenoid.....How to test

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starter Solenoid.....How to test
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:53:39 -0800
Listers,

        So...I fire up the Spitfar, roll her out into the crisp morning sunshine
to give her a well deserved bath.  Finish the wash, grab the wallet, hop in and
turn the key.....nothing.  I turn the radio on, nothing.  As I turn the key,
the tach
needle slightly hops, indicating some initial electrical flow.  The horn
circuit
makes a slightly audible, noise...other that that...nothing.

        Pop the hood, get the multi meter and start checking....for the next
thirty
minutes I'm checking voltage, removing connections and replacing, generally
drying things off by hand.  Whatever this is was no doubt caused by the water
I had just showered upon her.  I am becoming embarrased as neighbors are now
embarking upon their Sunday morning ventures, no doubt giggling and whispering
to themselves..."there goes Chris and that little auto shop project of his
again".
I don't mind them thinking it always needs attention, but I hate when I can't
get it
to roar to life and blow past them with that wild eyed, sh*t eating grin.  That
usually
has them peering through their minivan windshield with the lustful envy I've
seen so
often from my aging peers.

        Now, I'm no Dan Masters, but as far as I could tell, all was OK.  All
this
time I was checking the ignition switch after each step in the
process....nothing.
So, I am becoming increasingly frustrated about now, the morning chill is
receding,
the water drying in big ugly spots across my fading Pimento bonnet.  I get out
my
big ugly prybar/screwdriver and jump the terminals on the solenoid.  The starter
makes its familiar musical whir.  I come around to the cockpit, turn the
key...and
she fires right up!

        So...to cut this to the chase...how do you know when a solenoid is
going out?
What else should I have checked?  Is there anything better than a nice long
Spring
time drive with the sounds of Opening Day on your radio?

Gotta go...thanks in advance

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA