Re: Stinky ol' Spitfire #3 (fuel pump)

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Stinky ol' Spitfire #3 (fuel pump)
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:11:14 -0800
Atwell,
I had an electric fuel pump located in the boot of my early Spit when I
got it.  I decided to leave it when I did the restoration.  When I drove
the car on it's first extended trip, it was obvious that was a mistake.
The thing had sat for so long that the diaphragm in the pump let go
about 10 miles away from home.  I managed to limp back and went to the
auto parts store and bought a replacement.  It is a universal electric
pump that i mounted just below the tank.  It works very well but has
that annoying click,click,click that anybody with one will recognize.

One precaution, if you do add one to your system be sure to install a
pressure regulator between the pump and the carbs.  The pumps put out
far too much pressure for your average LBC carbs.  (I have mind adjusted
to about 2.5 psi)  The pump I have is rated at 15 psi.

Joe Curry

Atwell Haines wrote:

> Hi all (That's both SPITFIRE and TRIUMPH lists)!
>
> Now that I have reduced the gas leakage from my ZS carb to one drop,  the
> gas pump got jealous and has taken to leaking  on the garage floor. [BTW
> the leak has done a fine job of flushing out the Bendix drive on my
> starter.   Are you listening, Nikki? :-0 )
>
> Should I replace it with another stock pump, or do electric fuel pumps
> offer clear reliability or cost advantages?   If I go the electric route,
> what do I need to convert?
>
> All war stories welcome!
>
> Atwell Haines
> '79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road and LOVING it!)
>
> Succasunna, NJ USA
> "Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer