Re: TR6 Driveshaft

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Driveshaft
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:42:28 -0800
Martin,
Nice try, but I'm afraid that wouldn't really work.  What you would have is
an imbalance of the shaft at each end 90 deg out of phase.  It would want
to wobble at its center.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but it's
best to have the shaft balanced with all installed.  If they are in the
cross section of the u-joint, its closer to the centerline and less likely
to cause an imbalance, if on the end of the cup, a little more of a
problem, but I don't even use these.  I make sure the cups are fully lubed,
and just plug the hole with an allen grub screw.  The driveshaft on a
spitfire is so hard to get at that I don't think it's worth the bother of a
grease nipple, and I only had one failure of a u-joint due to lack of
grease, after about seven years, and that was the original factory one!-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)