Re: TR6 Driveshaft

To: "Craig & Karen Bentley" <mmbent@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Driveshaft
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:13:54 -0800
>I really
>appreciate the rather thorough explaination that you gave me. I didn't know
>about the speed issue all I was going on was my memory that these things
>needed to be 90 deg. to cancel out the phasing.
******************************
Your certainly welcome, I did a lot of research when I did my engine swap -
but I hope I didn't mislead you.  The yokes on the main part of the drive
shaft (without u-joints themselves, and outer yokes installed) should be IN
LINE, in other words, if you were to draw a straight line from the center
of the cup hole on one end of the drive shaft, straight down the shaft it
would intersect the center of the other cup hole at the other end of the
drive shaft.  I guess another way to say it is if you were to look directly
down on top of a drive shaft laying on the ground, in one view you would
see a long shaft with two "u"s on each end.  Rotate the shaft 90 deg from
that position and you would see the same shaft but this time you would see
two fingers with a hole through them at each end.  This way when every
things installed in the car, the angle of one will cancel out the other,
i.e. one is at 10 deg the other will be at minus 10 deg.
That's one of the problems with speech, its' some times difficult to
explain things clearly without pictures, or maybe it's just the designer in
me, that prefers pictures to word's for explanations.  You know the old
saying, a pictures worth a thousand words- O.K, I've said enough, not quite
a thousand words, but for some reason, my explanations  probably seems like
they are -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)