Just a Thought - Flimsy Cars

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Just a Thought - Flimsy Cars
From: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 11:41:54 -0400
This recent discussion about safety got me thinking.  I am blessed enough
to have an understanding wife, (which a lot of us are, considering the
mutiple autos people own on the list) and have a choice to drive either a
1989 Alfa Spider Quadrifogilio, a 1992 Mazde Miata, or a 1977 Triumph
Spitfire (which I look forward to the most since it owes its continued
exeistence to me) on any given day.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that of all these three car representing
2-3 different generations in auto history (Spitfire = early 60's design,
Spider = late 60's design, Miata = late 80's design) - guess which car has
the most structural stiffness and feels like a "normal" (i.e. non
converible) car?  Yes, the Spitfire.

I suppose it is due to the frame/body combination as opposed to unibody
construction.  However, lots of people insult the Spitfire for it's weak
and flimsy frame.  I don't know about other's cars  but the Spit does NOT
suffer from cowl shake or whatever you want to call it from a flexible
frame like the other 2 cars.  The Alfa has the most, and the Miata a bit
less.  But the Spitfire exibits NONE of that feel.   I think it is a very
strong car, contrary to what I have read from time to time and deserves a
bit more respect from even other Brit Car lovers.

-John Cousins
jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com