Weber DGV up-date

To: "\"'spitfires@Autox.Team.Net'\"" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Weber DGV up-date
From: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:01:03 -0400
To: List

A while back I posted some problems that I was having with the Weber DGV
carburettor on my 76 spitfire.

Problem #1
The idle speed changed and then become variable. I originally had it set
ot around 800 RPM, Then it started  to idle at 1200 and would some
times  work its way back down to 800

Found that the throttle cable was staring to fray and the broken ends
would cause the cable to bind,  Things to remember!!   make sure
everything is working mechanically and is repeatable, before trying to
tune anything

Problem #2  The car was running rich.

I am still a little shaky on this one. I dissembled this carburettor
last year and had it cleaned at a carburettor shop last year. I did not
do a really good job ot labelling the parts.  But what I found was that
the idle mixture screw would "bottom out" by compressing the spring
completely before it bottom out internally by closing the port inside
the carburettor.  Once I removed the spring I could get the the
carburettor to respond and vary the idle speed just like the book said.
I do not see where I could have mixed up the springs but, stranger
things have happened.

Also I did verify that all the correct jets and tubes were in the right
places. There is no listing in the Haynes carburettor book for a
Spitfire conversion.   But under the listing for a Capri 1600 there is
another Weber 32/36 5A. Which matches the numbers stamped on my
carburettor and all of the sizes of the jets matched up so I used it as
a guide. .

FWIW
Dave Simpson
76 spitfire