Spitfire Gearbox Woes

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Gearbox Woes
From: "john derbyshire" <jderbyshire@maxon-hq.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:34:30 +0100
Can anyone tell me whats up with my gearbox.

Third gear is starting to play up a bit, sympoms are

When in gear, jumping on and of the thottle, the gear stick moves back an=
forth about 1.5 inches, looks like soon it will jump out of gear.

Holdin g onto the gear shift in  third, you can feel a sensation like gea=
rs
meshing together ( can feel it in any other gears).

Second gear sometime clonck when going in, but nothing drastic.

Also, the gear leaver position for 3/4 seems to be in the wron place,
pushing the stick all the way accross, misses the gate, where as not push=
ing
it all the was accoss, you can get both easy.

So listers whatg is the problem.

Is the misplaced positon, mearly a worn selector

Is the third gear problem , just a detent spring and ball problem.

or what

Should i strip it and replace a few bits, or simply get a reconditioned o=
ne.

If going down the recon unit path, the gearbox is an overdrive job, off a
dolomite, is this identical to the spitfire version or am i going to have
probelms, i took the engine and box for the dolly and shoved them straigh=
in the siptfire.

Can anyone in the uk recomend a gearbox supplier, I live near heathrow
airport, rimmers want =A3200 for a non overdive, or =A3380 for an overdri=
ve unit
(MY OVERDRIVE IS FINE), please don't suggest MOSS, their prices are wild,=
 eg
when i bought 5 speed box for my TR7 rimmers =A3304, MOSS =A3699

Many thanks

john derbyshire
TR7
Spitfire MKIV 1500 - with dodgy gear box
Rover P6 2000TC - in bits for restoration ( only taken 2 years so far,
anyone got a cheap supplier of ball joints)