RE: GT6 engine and radiator valances

To: birney <birneybs@onaustrailia.com.au>
Subject: RE: GT6 engine and radiator valances
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:23:00 -0400
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:39:50 +1000
From: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Subject: GT6 engine and radiator valances

Bill and Sal Birney Wrote:
The discussion and info on the Spitfire valances has been great (I know
have a pattern for the engine valances, which were never on our car!).
I was wondering if there was someone out there who's got the same sort
of
info for the GT6?
Our GT6+ hasn't got anything like these items (ie anything that some
previous owner considered extra to the minimum required to run), so it
would be great to make some up - especially for the radiator as we are
about to add a hot 2ltr motor to the present mix that makes up this car!
Bill and Sal Birney,
   I have a new set of the panels you are interested in. I used them to
replace the rather old looking set I removed from my car over 20 years
ago.
After putting them on for a concours I remembered why I removed them.
They
funnel more hot air than you ever need to deal with into the car. I had
insulated my gearbox cover and firewall yeas back and the interior was
bearable. But not any longer. If they weren't such a pain to put on I
would
leave them in the garage until a show that matters.
   They will also make it very difficult to remove the oil filter when
changing oil. My old set had the area by the filter cut off to allow
access.
And if you are tall forget the legroom you had when sitting on the tyre
working on the engine.
   The only one I think is worth having is the one that fits in front of
the
radiator. The rest are for getting points at the show and are worthless
pains
in the @$$ for everyday use and maintenance .
   So unless you are doing the concourse circuit save your time and
money and
invest it in upgrading  the radiator core to keep that engine (and
yourself
indirectly) cool.
   Any other GT6 owners care to comment on the value of these?
Best of luck,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
71 Spitfire MKIV FK9365L