Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] SPITFIRE: Normal dash light behaviours

To: DANMAS@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] SPITFIRE: Normal dash light behaviours
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 00:53:18 GMT
Dan writes...

>Vic,
>
>What year/commission # is your car? According to the information I have, from
>the introduction of the hazard flasher to Comm # FM 60000, Triumph used a turn
>signal flasher for the turn signals, and a hazard flasher for the hazard
>circuit. Each circuit had its own light. From FM 60001, they "cheapened up" a
>bit, and used a single hazard flasher for both functions, and the same bulb
>worked for both. Not a good idea, but I guess it saved a couple of bucks, at a
>time when Triumph needed to save wherever possible.

The diagrams in the Haynes book don't seem to be accurate regarding
the federal wiring.  I've found many errors and omissions.

My 1974 Spit 1500 has a mechanical tach, points ignition *and* the
Smith's seatbelt module.  I've found no diagram that matches this car.

AFAIK, the rocker type flasher switch was gone by 1975 in favor of the
red circular type with the internal bulb.  The Haynes prints draw this
switch as a rectangle however, so it gets confusing.

>This change was made when they changed the hazard switch from a rocker switch
>to a pull switch.

I think the change to the single flasher circuit was probably
later...most likely when they went to the revised steering column in
'77.  I suspect that even the latest cars had a separate hazard
indicator lamp and that the Haynes print is wrong.  If it wasn't so
dark outside I'd run back to the shed and check my '77 to see what's
there.  <other than the snake living under the bonnet!>  The other
lamp on the dash marked "hazard" is indeed nothing more than dash
illumination....red/white wire circuit.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits