Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] SPITFIRE: Normal dash light behaviours

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] SPITFIRE: Normal dash light behaviours
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 03:45:12 GMT
Bobby writes...

>Dan Masters wrote:
>
>[...]
>> >circuit. Each circuit had its own light. From FM 60001, they "cheapened up"
>> >bit, and used a single hazard flasher for both functions, and the same bulb
>> >worked for both. Not a good idea, but I guess it saved a couple of bucks,
>at a
>> >time when Triumph needed to save wherever possible.
>
>This sounds about the right point in production to me.  The "same bulb"
>would be the green indicator lamp on the dash.  It flashes to indicate
>the
>directionals and for the hazards.  Additionally the bulb inside the
>"pull
>type" switch lights only for the hazard function in concert with the
>green
>one.
>
>Tom O'Malley wrote:
>> The diagrams in the Haynes book don't seem to be accurate regarding
>> the federal wiring.  I've found many errors and omissions.
>>
>> My 1974 Spit 1500 has a mechanical tach, points ignition *and* the
>> Smith's seatbelt module.  I've found no diagram that matches this car.
>
>There were a few anomalies produced in Belgium out of whatever bits they
>had lying around.  Sometimes they even borrowed a few parts from the
>lawn
>tractor factory located next door ;-)

He he....You British car folks are just jealous of my LBC <little
belgian convertible> :-)  No matter...someday I'll DRAW a print for my
car.  ;-)

>> AFAIK, the rocker type flasher switch was gone by 1975 in favor of the
>> red circular type with the internal bulb.  The Haynes prints draw this
>> switch as a rectangle however, so it gets confusing.
>
>My 1975 Spit had the red circular "pull" switch.  My '74 did not.

Yes....I've also got a '76 instrument cluster sitting here and it has
the circular pull type.  The wiring matches up with the Haynes prints
on page 262 in the blue book.  Comm FM40001 to FM60000.  This is
depicted as a duel flasher circuit.

>> I think the change to the single flasher circuit was probably
>> later...most likely when they went to the revised steering column in
>> '77.
>
>Wouldn't this be around FM60001?  I don't have my book handy, but my '75
>car was FM30738U.
>
>>  I suspect that even the latest cars had a separate hazard
>> indicator lamp and that the Haynes print is wrong.
>
>This would be the separate "internal" red lamp.

Yes.  I mean the "internal" one.

>  I'm pretty sure that Haynes (& Bentley) are both wrong wrt this circuit.

As Dan points out,  it's not shown in the print  but I think they just
goofed up.

>  Both of my '78 cars
>are single flasher unit.  Both manuals put this change later than that.

I call my car a '77 but the build date is late in the year if I
remember.  I'll hafta' check out the commission # vrs the flasher
setup.  It *does* have the revised column...or what's left of it.

>>  If it wasn't so
>> dark outside I'd run back to the shed and check my '77 to see what's
>> there.
>
>You could always turn on your hazard lights to see what you're doing ;-)

Bobby...this car is BROWN.  It's sorta become one with the earth
again...ain't seen no active electrons since Reagan left office. :-)

>>  <other than the snake living under the bonnet!>
>
>Is this an attempt to increase performance?  Or just some type of
>"theft-deterrent" device?

Rodent-deterrent...we have an "arrangement".  <g>

>@lark mode off,
>@lurk mode on,
>Bob

Welding report coming up...preview: check all your seam sealer now!!

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits