Cold Air Box for a Spit W/ Twin SU's

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cold Air Box for a Spit W/ Twin SU's
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:12:16 -0700
In the little extra time I have had in the past few days, I managed to
fabricate a cold air intake system for my Spit.

What it amounts to is an Aluminum box (10x5x3 inches) to which is
attached two 2" diameter flexible aluminum hoses that are routed through
the right hand radiator valance and pulls cold air into the carbs
instead of the superheated air from the exhaust manifold below.

Since I have aluminum radiator valances, It was a simple matter to mount
a circular air cleaner element over the two openings and cover it with a
polished aluminum cover.

In theory, it is supposed to make the carbs work better because cold air
compresses better than hot air.  In reality, it may not give any
additional performance, but it sure does look fast.

As soon as I get a roll of film developed, I'll scan some images for
anybody who wants to see what it looks like.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer