Another rebuild

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another rebuild
From: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:01:33 -0700
Interesting to see all the restorations going on.  I feel right at home!
        Spent a couple of hours and $77 at a do-it-yourself sandblaster
last Saturday and got all the old paint off (hence my previous query re
colour.)  It is honestly a rest-free chassis from inland California, aso
no pitting.
        Just got my chassis and associated suspension bits back from the
body shop after Endura painting on Thursday morning.  In the paint booth
it looked OK, found some spots that were obviously missed so pointed them
out to the owner.  He had a kid get a spray can of enamel and touched it
up!  I wasn't impressed!  And when I got it home and looked it over found
too much bare metal.  I was sick about it all night, so took it back this
morning and he agreed it wasn't good.  Said his night time painter (a
moonlighting paint rep) would get talked to! He was nice about it, and
readily agreed to prime the bare spots and repaint the whole thing.  I
felt a lot better today.  I have seen his work and it IS good, but this
job looked like his moonlighter had done it in the dark!
        So tonight I started cleaning up the next bits, laying out the
universal joints, seals, bearings, bushings etc.  I am finally getting
somewhere, and it feel good.
        More to follow, whenever.
Cheers, Fred
---