Re: 1500? engine question -- oil filter.

To: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Subject: Re: 1500? engine question -- oil filter.
From: Ron Fowler <triumph@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:24:51 -0400
Gregory,

Check your engine number located near the rear of the engine block on
the driver's side.  If the number is somewhere around FM 128926, then it
is probably an '80 1500 motor.  I owned the 10th '80 Spit built and its
number was FM 128936 UCE.  (I would be interested in knowing if your
engine code ends in UCE or just UE as well as the last 4 digits of your
VIN.  UCE was originally used to note California spec motors but every
'80 Spit I've seen has had the UCE code.)

Now, as to the filter.  The above car also came with a Crosslands
filter, I forget the part number, but I switched to AC/Delco filters and
have used PF53's.  I purchased a spin-on adapter from The Roadster
Factory that worked with the PF53's.  Their 1993 3rd Edition catalogue,
Second Printing, printed July of 1993, illustrates the adapters on page
6 (earlier editions do not list this part).  I believe its part #
SLP197.  The other one listed is SLP178, I believe that the latter one
is for the larger size filters that have a larger diameter threaded
fitting than what is threaded in the block.

I like using the PF53's since I have had other vehicles, GEO Trackers,
that use this filter.  I generally pay a lot less for them than the
Unipart ones.  The only drawback is that the adapter is a bit small in
length so you can't tighten it into the block real far since you need to
save some length to hold the filter on the other side.  With a bit of
practice though the filter snugs up pretty good.

I hope this helps.  If your engine is an early one, I can't help much.
I have only owned '80s.

Ron Fowler

Inca Yellow '80 #1999
and now three wedge cars!