1500? engine question -- oil filter.

To: "spitfires@Autox. Team. Net" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1500? engine question -- oil filter.
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:10:02 -0400
I have a 1980 Spitfire 1500, with what may be a transplanted engine. The DPO
says it was rebuilt before he bought it, apparently it was sprayed liberally
with black spray paint. As yet, I've seen no other evidence of rebuild, and
the engine smokes slightly.

1980 emissions equipment, ignition equipment, etc. appear to be correct.
However, the car has a "Crosslands 595" oil filter (which I was forced to
remove with the screwdriver trick), held to the block with a hollow threaded
rod with a hex cast into the center. The rod screws into threads cast into
the block! To me, this has the earmarks of a "spin on" conversion kit for an
early engine. The 1980 "by the book" AC Delco filter (and others I looked
up) have significantly larger threads than the rod, and I have as yet been
unable to locate a filter that will fit the threads. I'm hoping to find some
sort of adapter that will fit the block's threads on one end, and the
"proper" oil filter's threads on the other sometime during tomorrow's
travels.

As a side note, the car has 41,000 miles on the odometer (same as when the
PO bought it), and.. surprise! no speedo cable. Just fixed this, but can't
run the car without an oil filter!

What is a proper filter for the car?
What is the deal with the Crosslands 595 filter?
Is there a US source for the Crosslands filter?
Do I have a 1500 motor? Maybe an older one?

Gregory W. Smith      http://www.cvn.net/~gsmith
Member, Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club
1980 Spitfire 1500 "for the wife" :)
1980 TR7 Spider v8 (in progress)
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition (deceased)