ram air spitfire...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ram air spitfire...
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

well, some of you may remember that i was embarking on a project to
build a ram-aim induction for my spitfire.  well, it didn't quite turn
out the way i planned.  last night, i finally finished building the
air box, and attaching a short piece of 3" dryer vent hose for the
intake.  i mounted it all up on the car, and routed the vent hose to
the grill area and wedged it next to my radiator shrowd (sp?).  ok,
the car started and idled with no difference, and as i started driving
down the road, i noticed a big difference in the performance.  it got
a lot worse!  something that i didn't expect.  i noticed a little
improvement in crusing power, but whenever i wanted to change gears,
there was a hesitation from the engine.  and as i came up to stop
signs, the car would stall out.

so, the moral of the story is this:
i learned that a spitfire carb is not designed for ram-air.  if anyone
would like to buy the setup from me, forget it.  i'll GIVE it to you!
just remember, before you install it, it won't work.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to ask for your experiences in
this.  if you have installed something similar to what i have tried to
describe, but have had sucess, let me know.  i know some of you have
already expressed your commments, and i appreciated them.

thanks, and happy motoring!

nik jaremka
72 spitfire mkIV (less ram-air)
east aurora, ny