rear axle bearing housing

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rear axle bearing housing
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:50:57
OK now that I have my rear end put back together I found something that I
believe is unusual.  On my passenger side rear axle bearing housing (the
trunnion that the bearings sit in)  there is a small hole, maybe 1/16 or
1/32 of an inch in diameter.  it is located directly on top and apparently
goes the entire way through to the inside (made obvious by the grease that
comes out of it)  The hole is very clean and actually looks like it might
have been original (for what reason, I have no idea)  it could however of
been drilled with a real steady hand.  None of my other axles or spares
show this (although almost all of them have at least 1" of packed grease on
them that would hide the fact).  Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?  If
this was made by a DPO, then why?  and should I have it welded over, what
would happen if I didn't.  Wouldn't water or grit entering through the hole
destroy the bearings?

Thanks,
Patrick Bowen
Patrick Bowen