Re: Spitfire map light

To: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire map light
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:39:00 -0500
At 01:10 AM 1/22/99 -0000, James Carpenter wrote:
>Snap...
>
>Only thing it I LIKE IT ON!

It doesn't distract your attention, blinking on and off repeatedly?   Hrumph.

>I'll tell you what the problem is,  your suspension is crap.  You need to
>overhaul the complete system. New shocks, springs, bushes, the whole lot.
>It's the only way to stop it falling down.  I mean they would not design the
>car with a map light that falls down when you go over a bump.  And what can
>go wrong with a map light it's so simple.  NO  If it falls then there is
>something seriously wrong with the suspension.   Only thing left....

Gosh I _did_ do the whole suspension last year...

>Mean while back at the farm....

Glad to hear you are back under control....

>Are you double folding it?   The maplight needs to be folded on both pivots
>to keep the centre of gravity in.

Here I thought it fell down during spirited driving to automatically lower
the center of gravity.    Kind of like the sun visors!  They ARE supposed
to do that, aren't they???

>By the way what bulb do you use in there?  I use one from the gauges, but
>it's quite dim and I am sure it's not correct.

I've never changed the bulb.  No mention of the map light in the bulb chart
of the owners manual (Driver's Handbook) either. I can tell you, however,
that it is the same brightness as the courtesy lights.

Just noticed the picture of the fascia (fig 1) shows the map light fallen
down.   Oh! Maybe it's designed to be that way.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey."
Drive a Spitfire!