Re: Hardtop mounting for a 1500

To: Mostrom.Paul@principal.com
Subject: Re: Hardtop mounting for a 1500
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:28:57 -0800
Fellow (factory) Hardtoppers,

Check the underside of your hardtop where it rests on the rear edge.
There used to be a rubber pad (about 1" by 1-1/2") surrounding each
bolt hole.  The purpose of these pads was to keep the hardtop (edge)
from resting on the rear deck (and damaging the paint).  Problem is:
They were only attached with a dab of glue, so eventually they fall
off.  If they didn't fall off, by now they've taken on a compression
set and are about 1/2 their original thickness.  Either way the
top ends up sitting too low, especially if you torque the rear bolts
much.  The foam rubber weatherstrip compresses pretty easily <g>.

It's not hard to cut some new pads out of some (relatively) hard
rubber.  The originals were about 1/4" thick, but I made a couple of
sets out of some ~1/2" thick rubber stock.  This made it a little
harder to get the rear bolts started, but once tightened, the top
seals nicely in the back and sits a comfortable distance off the
rear deck.

If you decide to try this and don't have an original pad left to use
as a guide, contact me (off-list) and I'll measure mine for you.

-Bob
(who really really wished he didn't have the hard top on today)

--
"Striving to be better, oft we mar what's well."
-- William Shakespeare