RE: Petrol, continued...

To: "'Susan Hensley'" <susan@bearcom.com>,
Subject: RE: Petrol, continued...
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:51:37 -0800
I can't believe I'm getting into a pissing match over gasoline.  Fine...here
is report from the API (American Petroleum Institute).  Sorry I over
generalized....for new cars buy the octane your owners manual recommends
(which for many is regular), for older cars go on the grade that keeps your
car from knocking.

A Consumer's Guide:
Gasoline Octane for Cars
from Gasoline Questions & Answers for Your Car
API Publication 1580, Sixth edition, January 1996

        Q. What is octane?
        A. Octane is a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist knock or
pinging noise from an engine. In older vehicles, knock may be accompanied by
engine run-on, or dieseling. Knock is the sharp, metallic-sounding engine
noise that results from uncontrolled combustion. Severe knocking over an
extended time may damage pistons and other engine parts. If you can hear
knocking, you should have your engine checked to make sure it is calibrated
correctly and does not have a mechanical or electrical problem, or use a
higher octane gasoline.
        In most vehicles no benefit is gained from using gasoline that has a
higher octane number than is needed to prevent knock. However, in some
vehicles equipped with a knock sensor (an electronic device installed in
many modern engines that allows the engine management system to detect and
reduce knock), a higher octane gasoline may improve performance slightly.
        Q. What determines my car's octane requirements?
        A. Your car's octane requirements are mainly determined by its basic
design. In addition, variations in engines due to manufacturing tolerances
can cause cars of the same model to require a different octane of several
numbers. Also, as a new car is driven, its octane requirement can increase
because of the buildup of combustion chamber deposits. This continues until
a stable level is reached, typically after about 15,000 miles. The
stabilized octane requirement may be 3-6 numbers higher than when the car
was new. Premium or midgrade fuel may be advisable to prevent knock.
        Other factors also influence your car's knocking characteristics:
        Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine
coolant, the greater the octane requirement.
        Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the
octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing
and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and
thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these
vehicles.
        Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement.
The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to
low-humidity levels.
        Your engine's spark timing - The octane requirement increases as the
spark timing is advanced. Both the basic setting of the spark timing and the
operation of the automatic spark advance mechanisms are important in
controlling knock. In some computer controlled engines, the spark timing can
only be changed by replacing modules in the computer. If they are equipped
with knock sensors, these computer controlled engines have the ability to
retard the ignition temporarily when a sensor detects knock. This
temporarily reduces the octane requirement and may also temporarily reduce
vehicle performance.
        Method of driving - Rapid acceleration and heavy loading, such as
pulling a trailer or climbing a hill, may result in a greater octane
requirement. Stop-and-go driving and excessive idling can increase octane
requirements by causing the buildup of combustion chamber deposits.
        Malfunctions of emission control systems - An improperly functioning
emissions control system can affect the octane requirement by changing the
air-fuel mixture or by not providing dilution gases through the exhaust gas
recirculation (EGR) system. If a malfunction occurs, your vehicle should be
taken to a qualified vehicle service mechanic. Some problems are indicated
by warning lights on the driver's instrument panel.
        Q. How many grades of gasoline are available?
        A. Most places that sell gasoline offer three octane grades of
unleaded gasoline--regular at 87 (R+M)/2, midgrade at 89 (R+M)/2, and
premium at 93 (R+M)/2. In high-altitude areas such as the Rocky Mountain
Region of the U.S., the (R+M)/2 number may be lower by one or two numbers.
After January 1, 1996, no leaded gasoline may be sold for highway use.
        Q. Which octane grade should I use in my car?
        A. Use the recommendation in your car owner's manual as a starting
point for selecting the proper gasoline. If you notice engine knock over an
extended time and your engine is adjusted correctly, try a higher octane
gasoline. Also, higher octane may provide a performance benefit (better
acceleration) in cars equipped with knock sensors. Many late model and
high-performance (turbo-charged and supercharged) cars fall into this
category.

        The following documents are also available:
*       News Release <http://www.api.org/pasp/_backup/octane.html> on
Gasoline Octane Study
*       Octane Requirements of the Motor Vehicle Fleet and Gasoline Grade
Sales <http://www.api.org/pasp/_backup/rs083.htm>, a study by the American
Petroleum Institute [in PDF*]
*       Octane Sales Match Vehicle Fleet's Needs
<http://www.api.org/pasp/_backup/octoped_copy(1).html>, an op-ed by Rayola
S. Dougher and Thomas F. Hogarty
        Click here to order <http://www.api.org/cat/order.htm> API
Publication 1580, Sixth edition, Gasoline Questions & Answers for Your Car.