Re: 1500 Blowing Oil

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Blowing Oil
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:52:12 -0800
Bob,
Actually, that was my article.  But if you don't want to install an
electric fuel pump, you can accomplish the same thing by drilling out
the closed port on the right hand side of the engine and installing a
vent there.  That protruding bump on the block is where Triumph closed
up the casting where used to be a blow-by pipe on early engine blocks.

However, drilling this out is a tricky proposition and will deposit much
metal shavings into the sump.  Therefore it should be done with the oil
pan off and something protecting the crankshaft from the shavings.
Ideally, you should remove the crankshaft, but that would mean removing
the engine.  Now you know why the Electric fuel pump is such a good
idea.

Regards,
Joe

Bob Norway wrote:

> Read an article by Tom Shirley about correcting blowing oil as a result
> of removing air injection system, but it only addressed an engine with
> an electric fuel pump.
>
> ref:
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/stopoilblowing.html
>
> Anybody got any ideas on what to do with a Spit with a regular
> mechanical fuel pump? How would one get the system to 'breath' and not
> blow oil?
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Bob Norway
> Rockledge, Florida
> Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
> ICQ# 3752712
> ***************************
> TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
> http://www.seacoast.com/~jsweet/brotherh/index.html
> Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
> 432 AMS/Autopilot
> ***************************