Re: 1500 Blowing Oil

To: "Bob Norway" <examiner@scci.net>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Blowing Oil
From: "Michael Altomare" <MTAltomare@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:57:09 -0500
HI, I'm pretty new to the reader's list, and thought that this subject was
pretty interesting.  I've had my '77 1500 since 1981, and never had a
problem with blowing oil until I rebuilt the engine last year.  I used high
compression pistons, Kent cam, Weber 32/36 carb and a Mallory Unilite
distributor.  It runs great except for too high an idle speed and oil that
blows out of the dipstick and valve cover vent.  The oil will pool up in the
air cleaner assembly after a short period of time.  It doesn't get into the
carb as the Weber's inlet  has a raised area that blocks it.  I assumed that
I had excessive blowby that will go away after the rings seat, but after 700
miles, it hasn't.  I do have an electric fuel pump that I added as a boost
pump for the mechanical pump, so I could use the mechanical pump's mounting
pad as described in Joe's article.  As Bob asked, what else could/should be
done?  I'm also unclear on how the emissions equipment (when it was
installed) kept the oil from blowing - the pressure has to vent somewhere.
Please explain.

Thanks!

Michael Altomare
'77 Spitfire 1500