I have some clutch problems too - please advise

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: I have some clutch problems too - please advise
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:22:32 EST
I am having a problem with my clutch. After a little bit it stops working. I
rebuilt the master cylinder less than 1000 miles ago, the clutch itself has
less than 1700 miles, and everything used to work. I remember the sticking
point used to be much higher up on the pedal travel. Now it is very close to
the floor. Except that, it works fine when i get in the car, but as i use it
more, it stops disengaging. After being stuck in traffic today for 40 minutes,
it just stopped working. It disengaged enough that I could take the lever out
of gear, but I had to match the engine speed to engage the next gear. Not a
lot of fun. When it flares up, first gear is very hard to engage, and it takes
two pushes to get it in gear. I assume the first is the synchro, and the
second is the actual gear.
        I bled the system when i rebuilt the master cylinder. It does not
appear that
there are any leaks. My hunch, which could be very wrong, is that it is the
hydraulic fluid. I don't know what is in there. It is a conglomeration of
whatever I could find in my garage. Could it be that I have a bad mix, or that
the quality is just too low. I plan on emptying the entire system this
weekend, and replacing the fluid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kris Powell
1974 Spit 1500