RE: I have some clutch problems too - please advise

To: <SpitfireKP@aol.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I have some clutch problems too - please advise
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:24:23 -0500
If you're emptying the system, flush it through with isopropyl alcohol 'till
it comes out clear. I also do this on brakes and it makes working with the
parts much more pleasant, as well as cleaning out ALL the crud in the lines
and cylinders.

I have a length of clear flex tubing that fits firmly over the bleed nipple,
and a plastic peanut butter jar with two holes in the lid -- one just big
enough for the tubing, the other is a pinhole to let air escape. the tubing
runs to the base of the jar, and I put 1/2" to 1" of fluid in the jar when
bleeding, to suck fluid back, instead of air.

Stick this on the bleed nipple, loosen 1/2 turn or so (the tubing should
stay on if you're careful) and PUMP AWAY. just keep the reservoir from
running dry.

To bleed with this setup, get someone else to pump, and as soon as you see
no air bubbles, you can tighten the bleed screw. If they pump quickly, it
will get the air trapped in the high spots because of the turbulence of the
fluid.

Gregory W. Smith      http://www.cvn.net/~gsmith
Member, Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club
1980 Spitfire 1500 "for the wife" :)
1980 TR7 Spider v8 (in progress)
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition (deceased)