air temp conrol unit

To: spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: air temp conrol unit
From: Thorn <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:25:36 -0600 (CST)
Variously know as the "air temperature control unit" (Bentley P.187,
17.30.00) or the "Hot Air Intake" (Victoria B part# VB-2-188), this
"thing" (BY unipart# 12H4846) varies the hot air intake using a
bi-metallic strip to open and close a "flap" on the auto choke '75-on
Spits.

The Bentley Workshop Manual describes it as a "sponge rubber valve".

Okay - *now* I know where the funny "rattle" is coming from...  The sponge
rubber valve on my '78 has no *sponge*.

Has anyone done any replacement of this part?  Any ideas?  Clearly the
sponge part is supposed to effect a better seal.  I'm not sure that "that"
makes much difference - don't know.....

But, I'd love to quiet the tinny rat-a-tat-tat it makes!

Tks any ideas or suggestions.

harve
'78 driver
'75 parts heap