Re: Wiper switch configuration

To: jw@mitre.org, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wiper switch configuration
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:31:42 EST
In a message dated 2/14/99 9:23:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, jw@mitre.org
writes:

> I'm replacing my dash, and putting in new switches for my lights and
>  wiper. Using standard switch nomenclature, the light switch seems to be
>  a SPDT Center Off. The wiper seems to be a bit different, there are 4
>  wires coming to it, and the diagram shows a fifth terminal going to
>  ground. Is there a more or less standard switch that will replace this?

Joe,

No, unfortunately, the wiper switch is an odd ball, and no single, readily
available, switch will work and give you two speeds. You can replace it with a
single switch if you can live with one speed. If you want to retain two
speeds, it will take two switches. For more info on wiper switches and wiper
operations, go to:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-motor/

I have a modified version of the "emergency replacement switch" diagram, with
two switches for two speed operation. If you are interested, let me know and
I'll send it to you.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/