Re: Wiper switch configuration

To: Joe <jw@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Wiper switch configuration
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:41:48 -0800

Joe wrote:

> I'm replacing my dash, and putting in new switches for my lights and
> wiper. Using standard switch nomenclature, the light switch seems to be
> a SPDT Center Off. The wiper seems to be a bit different, there are 4
> wires coming to it, and the diagram shows a fifth terminal going to
> ground. Is there a more or less standard switch that will replace this?
>
> I bought 5 feet of solid walnut and plan to make a one piece dash,
> rather than 3. Does anyone know of any special problems with this idea?

The special problem is with using a solid piece of wood.  The plywood
that Triumph used is significantly stronger than a solid piece.  Your
weak point is with the grain.  Since plywood consists of each ply having
the grain opposing the previous layer, the stress is spread out over the
piece.  YOur best bet is to either cut the new dash from marine grade
plywood or veneer the one you have.  The problem with a single piece
dash is ease of access for service.

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer