Re: Wheels

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:45:39 -0500
Joe Curry wrote:

> Huw Upshall has 2 Spitfire 1500s.  One of them is sitting on a set of
> most irregular wheels.  They look for all practical purposes like stock
> steel rims.  But instead of the series of oval holes they are vented
> with a series of slots (probably 8 of them).  I have seen pictures of
> the Dolomite 1850 and it seems to have these wheels but not enough
> detail to say for sure.  They are decorative and painted silver.
>
> Can anybody tell me if this car was equipped with 4.5" x 13" wheels with
> the same bolt pattern as the Spit?.  Otherwise, can anybody identify
> these mystery wheels?
>
> Regards,
> Joe Curry
>
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer

Joe,

Not sure which wheels you are referring to, but keep in mind that
the Spitfire 1500 had a slotted wheel for a couple of years. They
went back to the round/oval holes late in the run.

All of the Dolly range had the same bolt patterns as the Spit/GT6
and Herald/Vitesse, 3 3/4 inch by 4 bolt. The wheel width varied,
from 4.5 inch to 5.5 inch. The Dolly Sprint may have had a 6 inch
rim, but I don't believe this to be the case.

Cheers,

Doug
--
Doug Mitchell