Re: floorpans

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: floorpans
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:29:31 -0500
At 04:57 PM 2/17/99,  Patrick A Bowen wrote:

>OK!  after many hours of hacking with a hack saw and drilling (breaking
>many expensive bits) and prying with large screwdrivers and hand sledges I
>am about 75% done removing my drivers side floorpan and I am extatic!  I
>have a very good understanding of how these pans are put together now.  By
>the way before I start tearing the passenger floorpan out I will either buy
>a MAPP gas torch (anyone know anything about these?)  or an oxy-acytelene
>torch.   This replacement will be almost perfect.  I am now waiting to be
>able to afford the new pans from Spitbits,  the ones from VB are aweful and
>I don't recommend them.  This job is not as hard as it is made out to be,
>but it is extremely intimidating!!  Of course I am not done with it either.
> Just thought I would share!!

Patrick,

  I can't help but wonder why you are thinking of purchasing a MAP or oxi
tourch?  If you are thinking about welding the new pans in place, I would
highly recommend that you purchase a MIG welder instead.  The oxi generates
a lot of heat and will distort the thin sheet metal very easily.  In
addition they take quite a bit of practice to master.

The MIG welder is more expensive put for sheet metal (auto bodies) it is
really the only way to go.  If you get a good MIG welder like the Lincoln
SP100 or SP125 expect to pay about $850 for the rig but it will almost do
the welding for you.  The totally variable heat and wire speed really help
the inexperienced welder do a good job.

My dad has been welding (as a hobbiest) for more than 15 years and has both
Oxi-acytelene (sp) and a big arch welder.  However, when he wants something
thin and small welded he uses my MIG welder.  I on the other hand probably
should still count my welding time in hours.  However, many times he comes
over to weld something or help me welding up my Bricklin and starts.  For
some reason, I end up finishing and he says my welds are better than his.
Granted I have more time on my MIG welder than he does, but he still has
the fundimentals etc all over me.  But I still can produce very nice welds.

Also if you get a MIG welder, also invest the extra $100 in the auto darkening
lense.  They really help the beginner!!!!

I'm not saying that oxi does'nt have a use and I'd like a oxi rig with
small bottles so I can transport it.  They work great for cutting and many
times you just need HEAT.  This you can't get from the MIG.  But for the
auto hobbiest, IMHO, think the MIG is a better initial investment if you
plan on doing much body work in the future.

As for cutting out the floor pans, a reciprocating saw (saw-z-all) is
almost a must.  Makes the job a lot easier.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi