Re: "A Man and a Woman" = Spit6 Lemans???

To: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "A Man and a Woman" = Spit6 Lemans???
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:04:34 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Thomas Carney wrote:

>   I just saw this movie a few days ago.  An old french movie, won the
> 66 cannes film festival...

daah  daah  daah    dah dah dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah dah
daah  daah  daah    dah dah dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah dah....

Sorry, I always happened to like the theme music! :-)

> Anyway there is some nice footage of a rally
> and the monte carlo race.  Romance and vintage race cars, what else do
> you need, right...  For those of you who have seen this movie, shortly
> after the main character crashes, they show a shot of a banged up car
> on the guardrail.  Is that a spit6 lemans?  It is black and white but
> the colorscheme seems right.

What you see is, I believe, footage of the 1964 Le Mans race, and the car
you see wrecked is either ADU 1B or possibly ADU 3B (can't remember and
my VCR is kaput at the moment -- I have the film on tape as well. The
third car of the team to run, ADU 2B, finished third in its capacity
class, and ADU 4B (currently in this country, still in remarkably
original form), was the "spare" car in '64).

The cars are, in fact, "Works" Spitfires, with fastback roofs molded from
the prototype Spitfire GT (that became the prototype GT6 later on). These
works Spitfires had 1147cc four-cylinder (not 6) engines with special
eight-port cylinder heads, etc., etc.

But the rest of "A Man and a Woman" is a pretty decent film as well. All
those shots of the Mustang convertible, and the Ford GT, and....

Besides, just saying the name "Anouk Aimee" is fun. :-)

--Andy