Re: "A Man and a Woman" = Spit6 Lemans???

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "A Man and a Woman" = Spit6 Lemans???
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:42:09 -0800 (PST)
---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:
> The cars are, in fact, "Works" Spitfires, with fastback roofs molded
from
> the prototype Spitfire GT (that became the prototype GT6 later on).
These
> works Spitfires had 1147cc four-cylinder (not 6) engines with special
> eight-port cylinder heads, etc., etc.

Ah, then that is the '64 Le Man's race, where the factory entered 3
spitfire modified racecars.  I think the top speed was either 130 or
140 - I get confused b/w the Le Man's Spitfires and Sprites.

I've got it on tape, off of Speedvision.  David Hobbs, ex-racer and
host of many cool Speedvision shows (including, sometimes, Legends of
Motorsport) drove the only remaining car.  The other two were taken
out by other cars - one clipped at top speed by a faster passing car,
and sent into the inside wall.  It was demolished, but the driver was
fine - in fact, they were all fine.

Sam Posey interviews Hobbs during the program, and he describes what
it was like to take the Spitfire through corners at full speed,
sliding the car from one turn to the next.  Way cool.

He also mentions the wheel-tuck problem.  Somehow it didn't manage to
slow him down, though!

I love watching the teams set up before the race.  The Porsche or Ford
GT40 guys have this elaborate chain of people, handing down tires, one
at a time.  The Triumph guys are shown walking from the trailer,
carrying these tiny little wheels and tires, one in each hand...  ;-)

Just watched it again this past weekend, playing it for a friend who
was in town, who currently races an '85 CRX in SCCA IT roadracing.

Cheers

Chip
==
Chip Mautz - Dacula, Ga, USA
Secretary/Treasurer, Georgia Triumph Association
'71 Triumph Spitfire MKIV - 'Ol Smokey
'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport -   ~O|||||||O_  (slightly damaged)

"Aerodynamics are for people who don't know how to build engines" - Enzo Ferrari