Lucas 45DE4 revisited

To: spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas 45DE4 revisited
From: John Weber <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:50:15 -0800
Heyo,

This is STOOPID writing...
This would be funny except that I have an ego and it happened to me :)

I've been trading some backdoor email with Joe Curry on the wiring
dilemna I (thought) have...

Joe says the wire to the coil neg is white/black.  I say where?  what
wire marking...(you just gotta read the added bonus on the bottom of
this message)

AAR, Joe sends me yet another (thanks Joe for the help) message saying
white/black.  I go back up to Mr. Garage to wrestle with Sir Lucas.  Oh
Gawd, am I stooooopid.

I have NO IDEA where Joe (with his xray vision) saw color stripes on
those wires, but looking at the wires (yet again) reveals a color band
(separate from the wires) on 2 of the wires...oh crap sez I, reaching
for Mr. Haynes.

I'll be horn-swoggled.  I haven't felt this stupid since, uhm,
yesterday.

the connector on the distributor is now revealed thusly:

 /\
/  \
| 1| matches with white/blue on wiring harness
| 2| matches with white on wiring harness
| 3| matches with white/black (duh) on wiring harness
----

Thanks, Joe, for your patience and help.

---

Joe,
Sorry to be such a pain.
On the odd chance, I took the advance/retard unit off the body.

All three wires coming from the unit to the connector are marked:
"Heat Resist   P.V.C."  and nothing else

the wires on the connector, arranged thusly:

 /\
/  \
| 1|
| 2|
| 3|
----

#1 reads 20 ohms to body of distributor
#2 reads 19 ohms to body of distributor
#3 reads open to body of distributor

The wires lead into a phenelic sealed unit, and then come out
(transformed by Sir Lucas) as one white wire and two black wires.
They then lead into the pickup by the rotor, where they also go into a
sealed phenelic block thingy.

Short of probing the wires with the meter leads, you got any ideas?

Where are you getting this white/black information?  I simply don't have
that available.  The wires on the wiring harness of the car are easy
enough; I have them either identified or I have to make them as the IPO
removed them.  No hoohoo there, the kicker is what goes to where on the
distributor.

Regards and HELP!  :)
John