Re: OD Lubricant Survey

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Lubricant Survey
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:37:43 -0500
Well, today I got the 50W motor oil in my O/D tranny, and as promised, the
"slip at start-up' syndrome has gone away.   :)

But, I had a thought as I was driving the Spit today to check it out: if
'modern' GL4 90W hypoid oil is too slippery for the o/d clutch, why not put
a 'friction modifier' (such as that used in limited-slip diffies) in the
tranny?

Atwell "My Brain Hurts" Haines (Why do I always get these ideas too late?)
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

++++++

At 09:06 PM 2/15/99 -0800, Joe Curry wrote:

>I want to take a poll of those who have overdrives.  Here are the
>questions:
>
>1.  Type Vehicle               Spitfire
>2.  Year                       1979
>3.  Type Overdrive             J type
>4.  Type lubricant used                Valvoline GL4 75W90
>5.  How long?                  1 year, 2000 miles
>6.  How did it perform?        Slips at start-up, feels like a slipping clutch
>7.  What Source did you use for this oil choice? As spec'd in Bentley
manual, local auto parts store.

COMMENT:  I will be installing straight Valvoline 50W motor oil (90W hypoid
equivalent) prior to the driving season, per the Spitfire List and the Red
Line Oil web site.

Atwell Haines
Succasunna, NJ USA