Overdrive Lube Survey

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Overdrive Lube Survey
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:17:39 -0800
OK gang the results are in.  Thanks to everybody who submitted their
information.  I received 34 inputs broken down (oops, maybe I shouldn't
use that term) as follow:  14 J-type, 6 D-Type and 14 A-Type overdrives
mixed among various models including an Austin Healey 100-4.

The results were varied among the various types, so I will extrapolate
the results by OD type.

J-TYPE:
1. Most people use GL4 from a variety of manufacturers. (various others
20-50 to synthetic were also reported)
2. Most of the lubricants used are because of specifications in the
owner's manual
3. Regardless of the lubricants used, nobody expressed any problems
(except #4 below)
4. When the transmission is cold, sluggishness or slippage is observed
in some conditions.
5. The problem in #4 goes away when the weight of the transmission oil
is reduced.

D-TYPE
1. Everybody reported using 80 to 90 wt. oil except one who used 30 wt.
2. Most recommendations were by Owner's Manual or "Experts".
3. The only failure reported was in the one using 30 wt (although it may
not be related)

A-TYPE
1. Lubricants are split universally from 30 wt. to 50 wt to the 80-90
wt.
2. Nobody reports any problems
3. Various manuals recommend different wt. oils (apparently it depends
on the tranny not the OD)

CONCLUSIONS:

1. The Overdrive units are less critical to oil weight than the
transmission that is attached.
2. Any of the major brands seem to be equally as good at protecting the
trannies.  Those specified are: Redline, Sta-Lube, Valvoline, Castrol
and Kendall.
3. Sluggishness or slippage that occurs when the car is first started on
cold mornings may be solved by going to a lighter weight oil.
4. Apparently the transmissions on older Triumphs with A-Type OD's
installed like 30 wt oil rather than heavier types of gear oil.
5. If using 30 wt. sometimes it may be necessary to increase the weight
to 50 wt. in hot climates.

Again, Thanks to all those who participated in the survey.  I hope this
synopsis is helpful to others.  It certainly has been for me.

Regards,
Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer