rear camber update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: rear camber update
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:27:52 -0500
Hey everybody,

I had posted a request last week about any ideas on correcting the positive
rear camber that I was experiencing after replacing my rear spring.  After
several calls to British Parts NW, we decided that my spring was identical
to the ones that they had in stock and had been selling for years without
problems.  Regardless, my car was experiencing about 2-2.5 degrees positive
camber on both rear wheels.  I had thought of several of the same ideas
that people had suggested involving different types of spacers, but since
I'm autocrossing this car in the H stock category those solutions are all
"illegal".  I finally resolved the problem by replacing the 3rd leaf in my
new spring with the 3rd leaf from my old spring.  This gave almost exactly
2 degrees of negative camber at the rear wheels and seems to have the same
spring strength as the new spring did.  If the car settles some more after
a time I can always put the new leaf back in.  If you're having this same
problem you might try this.

Glenn Trunnell
'76 Spitfire