Re: GT6 Brakes/Austin Calipers

To: "Peter Cebalo" <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>,
Subject: Re: GT6 Brakes/Austin Calipers
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:10:41 -0000
I seem to remember this:
The princess callipers fit on Spitfire vertical links, you then need a GT6
hub and that may be fits onto the princess??? disks.  The stub axle is the
only problem, does a GT6 stub axle fit a Spitfire vertical link. I had
looked into this, before I did the brake system in my car, but I decided
it's not worth the risk in tinkering with your cars most critical safety
system the brakes.  If you do decided too do it, research it fully and don't
try to do it on the cheap.  In my opinion your better off paying for the
TSSC's 4 pot conversion kit, because this kit should have had a lot of
expensive testing and also feedback from people who have brought the kit
before.

Then there are the mods to the braking system, and you might need a servo as
well.  Then you will need to carefully balance the rear brakes with the
front, I don't know how you would do this, but I do know what it's like to
have the rear lock before the front when braking hard.

I personally have completely overhauled the brakes in my car, replacing
everything stock, and the difference is amazing.  It's also much harder to
lock the tyres, because the balance is optimal.  New disks, new rear
cylinders, new pads, new brake hoses and pipes.  I don't even have braided
hoses.  In my view these are not necessary unless your car is heavily
modified.  As proved by a be not noticing the traffics lights had changed
whilst doing 60, I found that I was doing 25mph 200 yards before I expected.