Re: SPRING!!!

To: "Larry Quirk" <quirk@telusplanet.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SPRING!!!
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:42:20 -0500
At 09:01 PM 2/28/99 -0700, Larry Quirk wrote:
>Today as the thermometer crept above freezing and the deep heavy snow pack
>started to melt, I ventured into the forbidden side of the garage for the
>first time in 10 years.  There under a dusty cover sat the 80 Spitfire.
>Determined not to be daunted by other less meaningful tasks -- I AM GOING TO
>GET THIS SPIT ON THE ROAD FOR THIS SUMMER!!!!!

Yeah, here in the Mid-Atlantic sates, the first Spring flowers are pushing
above the earth.  Time to stow the hood (convertible top) I guess!

>I will keep you posted of the progress as I apply the most deft of my
>mechanical skills and bring life back to this all original (down to the
>factory air still in the tires) beauty with only 25K  km.  on the clock.
>Any bets on how many parts have weathered beyond use over the years of
>extended storage and extreme temperature cycles (120F to -40F each year)???
>Will the clutch disk be permanently corroded to the flywheel???  Will the
>goo ever clean out of the gas tank???  Will oil gush out of every gasket??

Answers: anything made of rubber or foam. Yes. No, have it flushed. Yes,
but not right away, and when you least expect it.

It will be a grand feeling to drive that Spit again. Keep the List posted,
good or bad.

>How well were these Spits really built????

You will be answering that question yourself I expect.  :)

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey."
Drive a Spitfire!